Thursday, 1 August 2013

Felsham and Gedding History Quiz

How much do you know about the history of our two villages? 

Test yourself by trying the questions below. 

The font in Felsham Church

  1. Who was rector of Felsham from 1822 to 1872?

  2. Who lived at Felsham House from 1931 until his death in 1952?

  3. What was the name of Felsham House when it was first built at the end of the 19th century?

  4. What is special about the font in St Peter’s Church

  5. Who lived in Gedding Hall in 1811?

  6. Mrs Walmsley at Grange Farm, Gedding kept a famous cattle herd in the 70s and 80s.  What breed were they?

  7. What was the name of the shopkeeper and sub-postmaster of Upper Green during the 1920s and 1930s?

  8. What was the name of the beer-house on Upper Green during the 19th century?

  9. In which decade did Gedding Church undergo major restoration?

  10. What was the function of Gedding Church’s Leper Grating?

  11. Who provided land for a new Felsham and Gedding school at the end of the 19th century?

  12. In 1926 Valley Farm was destroyed by fire.  Where did the family live while the farm was being re-built?

  13. What was the nickname for the old scout hut that was situated in Cockfield Road

  14. Why is 1268 an important date in Felsham’s history?

  15. Which Felsham farm hosted the Lamb Fair which took place every August?

  16. Who was Lord of the Manor of Gedding in 1494?

  17. Which Felsham pauper family was sent to Lancashire in 1836?

  18. What was the Christian name of the gentleman farmer belonging to the Cocksedge family who was buried in Felsham churchyard in 1469?

  19. In which decade during the Middle Ages was the Felsham Charity probably set up?

  20. How much did it cost to rent a quarter acre allotment in Felsham in 1840?

Many of the answers can be found in recent editions of ‘the G&F’ and on the History Club website -

The summer edition of the community magazine for Gedding and Felsham – the G&F – is available from the Felsham Post Office Stores, price £3.